Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) of Canada honoured the winners of its national awards on Sept. 17 as part of BOMEX 2015 at the Fairmont Le Château Frontenac in Québec City.
The Outstanding Building of the Year (TOBY) Awards are the most prestigious and comprehensive program of their kind in the commercial real estate industry. All facets of a building’s operations are thoroughly evaluated during the competition and winners are recognized in specific categories of building size or type.
Competition begins at the 11 BOMA Canada local associations, with qualified entries advancing to the national level. Each BOMA local association may submit only one building in each award category to the national competition.
TOBY Award judging is based on: building standards; community impact; tenant relations; energy conservation; environmental, regulatory and sustainability practices; emergency preparedness and security standards; and the training of building personnel. All entrants must be BOMA BEST-certified.
TOBY Award winners
The TOBY winners were:
* 100,000-249,999 Square Feet: CIBC Building, located at 1809 Barrington St. in Halifax and owned and managed by Crombie REIT; (CIBC Building is shown in the image.)
* 250,000-499,999 Square Feet: Mississauga Executive Centre 4, located at 4 Robert Speck Parkway in Mississauga, Ont., owned by Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company, AIMCO Realty Investors LP and ONTARI Holdings Ltd., and managed by Colliers International Canada;
* 500,000-1 Million Square Feet: 6880 Financial Drive, located at 6880 Financial Dr. in Mississauga, owned by bcIMC Realty Corporation and managed by Bentall Kennedy (Canada) LP;
* Over 1 Million Square Feet: Commerce Court, located at 21 Melinda St., 25 King St. W., 30 Wellington St. and 199 Bay St. in Toronto, owned by bcIMC Realty Corporation and managed by GWL Realty Advisors Inc.;
* Corporate Facility: iA Financial Group Head Office, located at 1080 Grande Allee Ouest in Quebec City and owned and managed by iA Financial Group;
* Historical Building: 111 Richmond Street West, located at 111 Richmond St. W. in Toronto, owned by Oxford Properties Group and OREC (RAC) Holdings Inc., and managed by Oxford Properties Group;
* Renovated Building: Le 2020 Robert-Bourassa, located at 2020 Robert-Bourassa in Montreal, owned by 7565402 Canada Inc. and managed by Industrielle Alliance;
* Retail Building: Polo Park Shopping Centre, located at 1485 Portage Ave. in Winnipeg, owned by Ontrea Inc. and managed by The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Ltd.;
* Suburban Office Park – Mid-Rise: Centre de la Cité Pointe-Claire, located at 1 Avenue Holiday in Pointe-Claire, Que., owned by Morguard (Holdings) Quebec Ltd. and managed by Morguard Investments Limited.
Earth Award winners
The Earth Awards are BOMA Canada’s recognition of excellence in resource preservation and environmentally sound commercial building management. They’re presented to buildings which have undergone significant efforts to address environmental issues faced by both older and newer buildings. All entrants must be BOMA BEST-certified.
The Earth Award winners were:
* Health Care Facility: Montreal General Hospital/McGill University Health Centre, located at 1650 Cedar Ave. in Montreal and owned and managed by Montreal General Hospital/McGill University Health Centre;
* Industrial Office Building: Heavy Equipment Transportation Centre, located at 2055 Notre Dame Ave. in Winnipeg and owned and managed by Red River College;
* Office: ATB Place, located at 10025 Jasper Ave. in Edmonton, owned by HOOPP Realty Inc./Les Immeubles HOOPP Inc. and managed by Triovest Realty Advisors Inc.;
* Retail Building: Centropolis, located at 1799 Avenue Pierre-Peladeau in Laval, Que., and owned and managed by FPI Cominar.
Pinnacle Award winners
BOMA Canada’s Pinnacle Awards recognize organizations and industry service providers who represent a standard of excellence to which all BOMA members and their employees should aspire. Innovation, teamwork, outstanding service and commitment to clients are taken into consideration when choosing recipients.
The Pinnacle Award winners were:
* Innovation: Emergency Response Portal (ERP) Corp. in Montreal;
* Customer Service: Oxford Properties Group at Royal Bank Plaza at 200 Bay St., South Tower in Toronto
Individual award winners
Peter MacHardy, former BOMA chair and vice-president of national commercial property management at GWL Realty Advisors, received BOMA Canada’s Chairman’s Award. This honour is bestowed for longstanding leadership and outstanding commitment to the success of BOMA in Canada and the commercial real estate industry.
BOMEX 2015 featured the inaugural presentation of the BOMI Canada Vyetta Sunderland Scholarship Award, which was established by BOMI Canada in recognition of its former chair Vyetta Sunderland and her focus on excellence and lifelong commitment to education.
The $2,000 scholarship is awarded to a Canadian student in pursuit of advancing his or her property management career or entering the property management field.
This year’s winner is Daniel Neaves, a project consultant in facilities management with the London Health Sciences Centre – Victoria Hospital in London, Ont.
Winners of the 2015 BOMA Canada National Awards may be eligible to compete in the BOMA International Awards at the BOMA International Every Building Conference and Expo on June 28, 2016 in Washington.
BOMEX 2016 will take place in Regina from Sept. 20 to 22, 2016.
Read more from: BOMA Canada News