The Real Estate News Exchange (“RENX”) respects your privacy and is committed to it by complying with this policy.
This policy describes:
– How RENX collects, uses, discloses, and protects the personal information of its customers and website users (“you”).
– Describes the types of information RENX may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website https://renx.ca/ (the “Website“).
– RENX’s practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
RENX will only use your personal information in accordance with this policy unless otherwise required by applicable law. RENX takes steps to ensure that the personal information that it collects about you is adequate, relevant, not excessive, and used for limited purposes. RENX will not give disclose personal information to another party unless such disclosure is granted by the user.
Privacy laws in Canada generally define “personal information” as any information about an identifiable individual, which includes information that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a single person. Personal information does not include business contact information, including your name, title, or business contact information.
This policy applies to information RENX collects, uses, or discloses about you:
– On this Website.
– In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
– Through mobile and desktop applications you download from this Website, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and this Website.
– When you interact with RENX’s advertising and applications on third-party websites and services if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
This policy DOES NOT apply to information that:
– RENX collects offline or through any other means, including on any other Company or third-party website (including its affiliates and subsidiaries).
– You provide to or is collected by any third party (including RENX’s affiliates and subsidiaries), through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website.
Please read this policy carefully to understand RENX’s policies and practices for collecting, processing, and storing your information. If you do not agree with RENX’s policies and practices, your choice is not to use the Website. By accessing or using this Website, you indicate that you understand, accept, and consent to the practices described in this policy. This policy may change from time to time (see Section 14 of this Policy). Your continued use of this Website after changes are made indicates that you accept and consent to those changes, so please check the policy periodically for updates.
1. INFORMATION RENX COLLECTS ABOUT YOU
RENX collects and uses several types of information from and about you, including:
– Personal information, that RENX can reasonably use to directly or indirectly identify you, such as your name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, user name or other similar identifier, billing and account information, and any other identifier RENX may use to contact you (“personal information”). RENX provides an opportunity for any user to unsubscribe or opt-out of contact for marketing purposes on an ongoing basis by sending an e-mail to [email protected]
– Non-personal information, that does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity or directly relate to an identifiable individual, such as demographic information, or statistical or aggregated information. Statistical or aggregated data does not directly identify a specific person, but RENX may derive non-personal statistical or aggregated data from personal information. For example, RENX may aggregate personal information to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific Website feature.
– Technical information, including your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, or information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access the Website, and usage details.
– Non-personal details about your Website interactions, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), clickstream to, through and from the Website (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, or any phone number used to call the customer service number.
2. HOW RENX COLLECTS INFORMATION ABOUT YOU
RENX uses different methods to collect your information, including through:
– Direct interactions with you when you provide it to RENX, for example, by filling in forms or corresponding with RENX by phone, email, or otherwise.
– User contributions. You may also provide information for RENX to publish or display on public Website areas or transmit to other Website users or third parties.
– Automated technologies or interactions, as you navigate through the Website. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
– Third parties or publicly available sources, for example, RENX’s business partners.
3. INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE TO US
The information RENX collects directly from you on or through the Website may include:
– Information that you provide by filling in forms on the Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use the Website, subscribing to RENX’s services, posting material, or requesting further services. RENX may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by RENX, and when you report a problem with the Website.
– Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact RENX.
– Your responses to surveys that you might be asked to complete for research purposes.
– Details of transactions you carry out through the Website.
– Your search queries on the Website.
You may also provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted“) on public areas of the Website or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions“). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk.
4. INFORMATION RENX COLLECTS THROUGH COOKIES AND OTHER AUTOMATIC DATA COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES
– Details of your visits to the Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
– Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information RENX collects automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information. It helps RENX improve the Website and deliver a better and more personalized service, including enabling RENX to:
– Estimate its audience size and usage patterns.
– Store information about your preferences, allowing RENX to customize the Website according to your individual interests.
– Speed up your searches.
– Recognize you when you return to the Website.
The technologies RENX uses for this automatic data collection may include:
– Flash Cookies. Certain features of the Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on the Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings that are used for browser cookies.
– Web Beacons. Pages of the Website may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit RENX, for example, to count users who have visited those pages and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
You can opt-out of several third party ad servers’ and networks’ cookies simultaneously by using an opt-out tool created by the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada. You can also access these websites to learn more about online behavioural advertising and how to stop websites from placing cookies on your device. Opting out of a network does not mean you will no longer receive online advertising. It does mean that the network from which you opted out will no longer deliver ads tailored to your web preferences and usage patterns.
RENX does not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they are used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
6. HOW RENX USES YOUR INFORMATION
RENX uses information that it collects about you or that you provide, including any personal information:
– To present the Website and its contents to you.
– To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from RENX.
– To fulfill the purposes for which you provided the information or that were described when it was collected, or any other purpose for which you provide it.
– To provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices.
– To carry out RENX’s obligations and enforce its rights arising from any contracts with you, including for billing and collection or to comply with legal requirements.
– To notify you about changes to the Website or any products or services offered or provided though it.
– To improve the Website, products or services, marketing, or customer relationships and experiences.
– To allow you to participate in interactive features, social media, or similar features on the Website.
– To measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising served to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you.
– In any other way RENX may describe when you provide the information.
– For any other purpose with your consent.
7. DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
RENX may disclose aggregated information about its users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
– To its subsidiaries and affiliates.
– In accordance with applicable law, to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of RENX’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by RENX about its customers and users is among the assets transferred.
– To advertisers and advertising networks that require the information to select and serve relevant advertisements to you and others. RENX does not disclose data about identifiable individuals to its advertisers, but it may provide them with aggregate information about its users (for example, RENX may inform them that 400 women between 30 and 45 have clicked on their advertisement on a specific day). RENX may also use such aggregate information to help advertisers target a specific audience (for example, men in a specific location). RENX may make use of the personal information it has collected from you to enable RENX to display its advertisers’ advertisement to that target audience.
– To contractors, service providers, and other third parties used to support RENX’s business (such as analytics and search engine providers that assist with Website improvement and optimization) and who are contractually obligated to keep personal information confidential, use it only for the purposes for which RENX discloses it to them, and to process the personal information with the same standards set out in this policy.
– To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
– For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
– With your consent.
RENX may also disclose your personal information:
– To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request, in accordance with applicable law.
– If RENX believes disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of RENX, its customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
8. TRANSFERRING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
RENX may transfer personal information that it collects or that you provide as described in this policy to contractors, service providers, and other third parties it uses to support its business (such as analytics and search engine providers that assist us with Website improvement and optimization) and who are contractually obligated to keep personal information confidential, use it only for the purposes for which RENX discloses it to them, and to process the personal information with the same standards set out in this policy.
RENX may process, store, and transfer your personal information in and to a foreign country, with different privacy laws that may or may not be as comprehensive as Canadian law. In these circumstances, the governments, courts, law enforcement, or regulatory agencies of that country may be able to obtain access to your personal information through the laws of the foreign country. Whenever RENX engages a service provider, RENX requires that its privacy and security standards adhere to this policy and applicable Canadian privacy legislation.
9. DATA SECURITY
The security of your personal information is very important. RENX uses physical, electronic, and administrative measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where RENX has given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of the Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. RENX asks you not to share your password with anyone and urges you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Website like message boards, which any Website visitor can view.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although RENX does its best to protect your personal information, it cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to the Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. RENX is not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
10. DATA RETENTION
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or regulation, RENX will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes it was collected for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. Under some circumstances RENX may anonymize your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you. RENX reserves the right to use such anonymous and de-identified data for any legitimate business purpose without further notice to you or your consent.
11. CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13
The Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to or on the Website. RENX does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features/register on the Website, make any purchases through the Website, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Website, or provide any information about yourself, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If RENX learns that it has collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, it will delete that information. If you believe RENX might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at [email protected]
12. ACCESSING AND CORRECTING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
It is important that the personal information RENX holds about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal information changes. By law you have the right to request access to and to correct the personal information that RENX holds about you.
If you want to review, verify, correct, or withdraw consent to the use of your personal information you may also send an email at [email protected] to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you have provided. RENX may not accommodate a request to change information if it believes that the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
RENX may request specific information from you to help confirm your identity and your right to access, and to provide you with the personal information that it holds about you or make your requested changes. Applicable law may allow or require RENX to refuse to provide you with access to some or all of the personal information that it holds about you, or it may have destroyed, erased, or made your personal information anonymous in accordance with RENX’s record retention obligations and practices. If RENX cannot provide you with access to your personal information, you will be informed of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
If you are concerned about RENX’s response or would like to correct the information provided, you may contact the Privacy Officer Ann White at [email protected]
13. WITHDRAWING YOUR CONSENT
Where you have provided your consent to the collection, use, and transfer of your personal information, you may have the legal right to withdraw your consent under certain circumstances. To withdraw your consent, if applicable, contact [email protected] Please note that if you withdraw your consent, RENX may not be able to provide you with a particular product or service. RENX will explain the impact to you at the time to help you with your decision.
15. CONTACT INFORMATION AND CHALLENGING COMPLIANCE
Ann White, [email protected]
P.O. Box 1484, Stn. B
Ottawa, Ontario, K1B-5B6
RENX has procedures in place to receive and respond to complaints or inquiries about its handling of personal information, its compliance with this policy, and with applicable privacy laws. To discuss RENX’s compliance with this policy please contact the Privacy Officer using the contact information listed above.
Last modified: December 13, 2020