As a real estate developer, you can extend your influence and reach more of your audience if you employ what I like to call “hero channels.” Hero channels are media channels that allow you to behave like a media company rather than an advertiser.
The primary goal of a hero channel is to offer engaging information that people want, thereby setting your brand up as a thought leader. Your brand becomes more than the brand itself; it becomes a central source for engaging information. Here’s what I mean:
• Instead of buying advertising space in a magazine, you could print your own magazine.
• Instead of buying spots on TV stations, you could create your own online video series.
• How about launching your own lecture series?
Of course, the key to your success in all of these efforts lies in creating something that will make people’s lives better. Your goal is to get people to seek these channels out because they enjoy them and find them useful. That’s when they become heroes.
For example, if you can create a magazine that is as interesting to your audience as any magazine that they would buy at a newsstand, then you will have loyal followers who wait for the next issue to arrive. But if your magazine is nothing more than an extended sales pitch, you won’t attract the interest of the audience you want to communicate with.
Best of all, your audience views these channels as gifts, which creates a debt of gratitude, further reinforcing your position as the expert. People follow experts. They trust them. They buy what experts have to sell.
Just remember, at the end of the day, your hero channel shouldn’t be left to stand alone. It’s when these channels become part and parcel of a communications campaign that they can be powerful and unexpected tools.
A few key questions to ask yourself as you decide which hero channels to engage with:
• What’s the alignment between your project and the information that your audience is most interested in?
• What is the delivery channel or hero channel that is most familiar and credible to your target audience? (I’d be happy to discuss further hero channels.)
• When and how aggressively (if at all) should your hero channel include a sales message?
• What ancillary channels can you use to support your hero channels?