The BOMA Canada annual BOMEX 2019 conference and trade show in St. John’s, N.L., has wrapped up, which means the nationwide association has also announced the winners of its annual national awards.
Topping the honours are the 13 properties judged as outstanding buildings of the year (TOBY) in their various categories. In addition to a series of other property-based honours, two individuals were also singled out for awards.
Stephen Taylor, the vice-president of real estate at Toronto-based HOOPP, was named the recipient of the BOMA Canada Chair’s Award. It is is presented annually to individuals who make valuable and long-lasting contributions to BOMA and support the organization in a meaningful way.
The other individual winner was Keisha Tanner of Milliken Co-Operatives Homes Inc., in Toronto, who earned the Vyetta Sunderland Scholarship.
In the buildings categories, top performers are eligible for the BOMA international awards, which will be announced June 30, 2020 during a gala event at the BOMA International Conference & Expo in Philadelphia.
BOMA Canada TOBY Awards
TOBY Award judging is based on a number of criteria, including building standards; community impact; tenant relations; energy conservation; environmental, regulatory and sustainability practices; emergency preparedness and security standards; and the training of building personnel.
All entrants must be BOMA BEST-certified.
* 150 des commandeurs, Lévis, Que., (Corporate Facility): Owned and managed by Desjardins;
* 9050 Airport Rd., Brampton (Industrial Building): Owned by Industrial 5000 Real Estate Investments Inc., managed by Oxford Properties Group;
* MaRS West Tower, Toronto (Mixed-Use): Owned by MaRS Phase II Investment Trust Inc., managed by MaRS Real Estate;
* 95 St. Clair Ave. W., Toronto (Office 250,000 – 499,999 sq. ft.): Owned by Desjardins Financial Security Life Assurance Company, managed by Colliers International;
* 25 York St., Toronto (Office 500,000 – 1 million sq. ft.): Owned by Menkes Union Tower Inc., managed by Menkes Property Management Services Ltd.;
* 175 Hargrave St., Winnipeg (Office under 100,000 sq. ft.): Owned by I.G. Investment Management Ltd., managed by Colliers International;
* Halifax Central Library, Halifax (Public Assembly): Owned by Halifax Regional Municipality, managed by Halifax Regional Municipality;
* Yorkdale Shopping Centre, Toronto (Retail): Owned by Alberta Investment Management Corporation & Ontario Municipal Employees’ Retirement System, through Oxford Properties Group, managed by Oxford Properties Group;
* Mississauga City Centre, Mississauga (Suburban Office – Mid-rise): Owned by Morguard Corporation and MCC Ontario Ltd., managed by Morguard Investments Ltd.
The BOMA Canada National Earth Awards recognize excellence in resource preservation and environmentally sound commercial building management.
* 2 Research Dr., Regina (Office Building): Owned and managed by Innovation Place;
* Kennedy Matheson Industrial Complex, Mississauga (Industrial Building): Owned by 3883281 Canada Inc., managed by Menkes Property Management Services Ltd.;
* RioCan Yonge Eglinton Centre, Toronto (Universal Facility): Owned and managed by RioCan REIT.
Recognizing role model companies that demonstrate standards of excellence to which all BOMA members and their employees should aspire.
* Hallmark Housekeeping Services Inc., Toronto: Above & Beyond;
* Triovest Realty Advisors Inc., Edmonton (Innovation): 11025 Jasper Ave.;
* Oxford Properties Group, Toronto (Customer Service): 200 Wellington St. W.
Net Zero Challenge
Recognizing the leadership of owners/managers, developers and architects of buildings which demonstrate significant progress along the path towards net‐zero energy and/or carbon.
* York Mills Centre, Toronto (Most Improved), Owned by: Manulife Financial, managed by Manulife Real Estate;
* 777 Dunsmuir, Vancouver (Innovation), Owned and managed by The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited;
* Deer Lake Centre II, Burnaby (Best in Class – TIE): Owned by City of Burnaby, managed by Colliers International;
* 1 Prologis, Mississauga (Best in Class – TIE): Owned by HOOPP Realty Inc., managed by Triovest Realty Advisors Inc.
Rick Hansen Accessibility Challenge Award
* Husky Energy, 351 Water St., St. John’s (Tenant Category);
* 351 Water, St. John’s (Building Category): Owned by: TD Greystone Managed Investments, managed by: East Port Properties Limited;
* Marine Gateway, 450 Southwest Marine Dr., Vancouver (Building Category): Owned and managed by: Triovest Realty Advisors Inc.