Square One in Mississauga will become the latest major shopping centre to take its food services to the next level when it opens Food District in April with nearly two dozen premium specialty providers.
The 2.2-million-square-foot shopping centre is co-owned by Oxford Properties and Alberta Investment Management Corporation (AIMCo). It is continuing a massive redevelopment and reimagination which began in 2013 and has resulted in expansions, a new tenant mix and a continuing increase in sales.
The opening of the 40,000-square-foot Food District in the west expansion on April 1 will bring 22 new businesses into the mix, and create in excess of 250 full- and part-time positions. Included among the offerings are Chocollata Gourmet Brigadeiros, Blackjack BBQ, Plancha Spanish cooking, BRØD Danish pastry house and more.
“The innovative space is an authentic experience for foodie tourists and locals alike and will feature local, handmade, and high-quality foods such as mouth-watering sultry pies from The Pie Commission, authentic Italian pasta from Dal Moro’s Pasta, and gourmet chips from Craft Chippery,” according to the release.
At its heart is The District Kitchen, an interactive demonstration space housing cooking classes, dinner parties, corporate and other special events.
Who’s coming to Food District:
Square One welcomes the following merchants to The Food District:
* Arvinda’s – Purveyors of pre-packaged Indian spice blends;
* Bake Three Fifty – Build-your-own cupcakes, ice cream sandwiches and milkshakes;
* Blackjack BBQ – Best-known for its sweet whisky pork ribs and dinosaur beef ribs;
* Blossom Moments – Bouquets with arrangements for any occasion;
* BRØD – Authentic Danish pastry house;
* Craft Chippery – Fresh, gourmet chips made in plain view of customers;
* Chocollata Gourmet – Specializing in Brazilian brigadeiros;
* Dal Moro’s Pasta – Authentic pasta, made from scratch;
* Hale Coffee – Toronto-based specialty coffee roaster;
* Kingston Olive Oil Co. – Quality cooking oils, such as roasted almond and black truffle;
* La Carnita – Mexican food to go;
* MidiCi – Authentic Neapolitan pizza maker;
* Pier 87 Fish Market & Grill – Providing sustainable seafood;
* Plancha – Original, open-flamed Spanish cooking;
* Seed to Sausage – Charcuterie plate master, providing locally made, artisanal cured meats;
* Sugar King Factory – Destination for candy, chocolate and anything sweet;
* Sweet Jesus – Ice cream shop with experiential flavour options;
* Tao Tea Leaf – Providing over 180 varieties of tea;
* The Box Donut – Decadent donuts;
* The Macaroon Boutique – French desserts;
* The Pie Commission – Variety of pies such as Beef’n Beer and Butter Chicken;
* Village Juicery – Cold-pressed juices.
“Square One has been a key part of the Mississauga community for over 45 years and the Centre has grown with the city; continuously evolving to provide an innovative destination to explore fashion, food, lifestyle and entertainment,” said Square One director and general manager Greg Taylor in the release.
“We are thrilled to continue to invest in the area and the prosperity of its residents, while also creating over 250 job opportunities with this addition. The Food District will house gourmet artisans in a space where guests can enjoy and share their food experiences.”
Square One among top shopping centres
During the past year, more than 40 new retailers opened their doors in the mall.
Square One is ranked No. 6 among Canadian shopping centres by the Retail Council of Canada with $1,086 in sales per square foot in 2018. That is up one spot from 2017, with an increase of about two per cent during the past year.
The shopping centre also surpassed $1 billion in total sales during its 2016 reporting year, which runs from May 2016 to May 2017.
Although updated financial information is not available, its owners told RENX the redevelopment between 2013 and 2015 cost about $480 million.
To accompany the changes, Square One has also been creating and updating its online and social media channels, including its website shopSQUAREONE.com; @shopSQUAREONE and @shopFOODDISTRICT on Twitter and Instagram; and its Facebook page facebook.com/SQUAREONE.